[VHFcontesting] K1DY 432 Sprint report

To: 'Pack Rats Reflector' <packrats@mailman.qth.net>, VHF Contest Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] K1DY 432 Sprint report
From: Bill Olson <callbill@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 14:47:44 +0000
Hi all, Well an interesting evening. I took the rover out and went to my spot
in FN54JM, same as where I was quite successful on 2M two weeks ago. This site
is on a ridge at over 1000ft ASL and while it has some trees in the way, they
are a pretty thin stand and didn't seem to be a factor on 2. Conditions seemed
pretty flat and signals from FN31, K1TEO and WZ1V, seemed weaker than normal..
I struggled thru but heard nothing on skeds with FN10 and FN20.. Around 8:30, I
decided it was pretty useless so pulled up stakes and headed home. On the way I
passed a site a couple miles away, not as high but totally clear, and decided
to run up there.. I set up and immediately heard stations louder than I did
from the original site (shoot, maybe the trees were more of a factor than I
thought they would be! - or maybe conditions changed - who knows!?). Worked a
4th FN42 station, then FN30 and by then it was time for my sked with Mike,
WB2RVX, in FM29, NJ. What the heck.. Tuned down to .07
 5 and bang there he was! Q5 S-2 or so. We easily worked on CW over this 439
mile path! So I figured maybe I would work a few more DX stations when the RIG
stopped working.. Oh well, turned out to be a cable pulled loose on the band
switching box, but was hard to troubleshoot in the dark, and I had been heading
home anyway.. Apologies to those I may have missed at that point!

9 Q's
6 Grids
yippee!

Thanks to the sponsors and all who got on!

bill, K1DY