[VHFcontesting] HSMM for Microwave Contacts

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] HSMM for Microwave Contacts
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 11:08:59 -0500
We used the “SSID Exchange” method suggested by Mark to make two contacts on
2.4 GHz during a contest about three years ago. It was as simple as setting my
SSID to “CQ_DE_N1LF” then “searching” for other SSID’s in the area.

The contacts were prearranged (we had just finished making a QSO on laser at a
distance of about three blocks.) After finding your partner, “K4TOZ” for
example, you change the SSID on your station to “K4TOZ_DE_N1LF_EM63”.

The other station then changes their SSID to “N1LF_DE_K4TOZ_RR_EM63”. After
you’ve “received the new SSID” you change your SSID again to:
“K4TOZ_DE_N1LF_RR_73.”

The QSO is completed and you’ve got a 2.4 GHz contact in the logs.

If you wanted to go crazy with directional antennas and amplifiers, the range
could extend out to many miles. We were using cheap directional Yagi’s we got
on ebay, and our range was easily several miles. I tried this with a rover, but
I can’t recall his callsign. He was very passionate about VHF/UHF contesting
but moved to another state shortly after getting started here. I need to check
my logs.

The price of two complete stations including antennas, etc. would be probably
half the cost of a transporter alone. I’m surprised more contesters haven’t
tried this as an easy way to add microwave bands.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook
Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.