Re: [VHFcontesting] [TowerTalk] PL 259 crimp connectors for RG 400

To: "'Mark Spencer'" <mspencer12345@yahoo.ca>, "'VHF Contesting'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [TowerTalk] PL 259 crimp connectors for RG 400
From: "Jeff DePolo" <jd0@broadsci.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 15:11:37 -0400
> Hi does anyone have any recent experience buying generic PL
> 259 style crimp connectors for RG 400 style cable and if so
> could they share their vendor contract info with me ?

I don't specifically buy "generic" connectors, but of all of the PL-259
crimp connectors for 0.195" OD coax that I've used, trying to put them on a
cable with a stranded center conductor like RG400 has always been
problematic, if not for the stranded conductor being too large, but also for
the fact that the strands unravel easily when trying to install the
connector on the end of the cable.  For that reason, I avoid stranded-center
cables in that size range when I have to use PL-259's.  A viable replacement
for your RG400 would be RG142/B, which is effectively the same cable but
with a solid center conductor.

If you do want to try to stick with RG400, I'd suggest using PL-259's
designed to be used on LMR200.  LMR200 has a 0.195" OD like RG400 and
others, but has a larger-gauge center conductor due to the lower dielectric
constant of LMR-type cables as compared to teflon or poly.  As such, you
will have a better chance of getting the RG400 strands to cooperate with the
larger center pin aperture on an LMR200 connector.

73.
                                                --- Jeff WN3A

---