Re: [VHFcontesting] Telescoping mast

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Telescoping mast
From: Ken Alexander <k.alexander@rogers.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 17:55:19 -0400
Hi Zack,

I do this myself, using aluminum tubing with 0.058" walls. They're light and very strong in the sizes you mentioned originally. However, the fit between tubes of "adjacent" sizes can be snug and if one of them develops a bit of a bend then you will have difficulty getting them to nest into each other, and even greater problems pulling the nested sections apart. I still use my tubes but I don't try to nest them any more than a foot or so when constructing my mast. I store them in a bundle of three tubes on my roof rack when moving.

73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS