[VHFcontesting] XV222 + IC746Pro

To: vhf contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] XV222 + IC746Pro
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 16:55:12 -0500
May be able to acquire an Elecraft XV222 transverter for a good price.
Bearing in mind that I have exactly zero (0) experience with
transverters, how difficult will this be to use with my 746Pro?

I can see that without modifying my Icom, I'd only get 222.0 - 223.7
MHz, but I don't see that as a downside.

I think I can turn the 746Pro down to <8 W which is the max the XV222
will take but maybe an attenuator would be safer.  :-)  I think it can
be turned down to minimum over the CI-V bus, so maybe that's a
solution.  Should probably see what "minimum" really is.  Since the IF
is on the HF side of the 746, conceivably I can set up Commander to
switch to ANT 2, set the radio to 28 MHz, and set the power to
minimum.  In fact, I think Commander will let me do the display
offset, too.  Hmm.

Anyone using an Elecraft transverter and an Icom?