[VHFcontesting] Trees

To: VHF <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Trees
From: Herb Krumich via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 18:56:59 +0000 (UTC)
Several years ago we had to switch field day locations.
For that year, we found a location in a state park convenient to where we lived.
We had some wire antennas up for 80 and 40 and a tribander about 30 feet off
the ground.
The contest started and after a few hours, rumors had it that we were hearing
OK on 20 meters but nobody was coming back to our calls. I got relief at our CW
position and walked over to try and figure out the problem. The transceiver
they were using looked like it was working, but the power supply had no current
meter in it. Hummm
I went to my car and got another PS. Radio was drawing about 20 amps and the
SWR checked good.
Make a long story short. About 200 feet from the tribander was a massive row of
100 foot spruce trees. They apparently were wet and were taking every bit of
our power to ground. As the day went on, we started putting contacts into the
log.
Moral of the story - Watch out for big wet trees
73's Herb K2LNS