[VHFcontesting] 1296 THANK YOU & FN55 Progress Update

To: VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, newsvhf@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 1296 THANK YOU & FN55 Progress Update
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 21:54:00 -0400
First, a big THANK YOU to everyone who kindly responded to my request for 1296 information. The several responses were immensely helpful and encouraging. One final 1296 question: Has anyone tried putting a DEMI 2330PA (current model) in a box at the top of a tower in a northern state? I wonder if it will survive the heat, cold and humid air? If it will, this looks like THE way to go, along with a tower mounted LNA. I cannot avoid very long feedlines if I want to be above the trees.

Over the past couple of months I have received a tremendous amount of support and encouragement for my return to VHF. Here is a progress update...

6 meters is reduced to 100w temporarily but I believe I will be able to build an amp (minus tube) this winter. Hopefully I will scare up a tube somewhere before Spring.

2 meters is coming along. I have a 3.8 WL (26') yagi built and ready to go up. The QRO amplifier is currently spread across a table in many, many pieces as I await parts to fix a tired old tube socket. This is the former 6 meter amp being converted back to 2 meters which is the band it was originally designed for.

I have material to build a 222 antenna which with some luck may be in place in time for the September VHF Contest. But expect low power on that band for the foreseeable future.

As hinted above, I have a tentative plan for 1296 but lack funds to pursue it for the time being.

VERY special thanks are due to K1KA and K5AND who have gone above and beyond to assist my efforts. If you work me on any of the four bands for a new grid or contest multiplier, at least one of these guys deserves some of the credit!

73,

Paul N1BUG FN55mf