Re: [VHFcontesting] Inexpensive 222 Yagi (Re: 222 Sprint

Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Inexpensive 222 Yagi (Re: 222 Sprint
From: "Kevin H. Phillips" <kh-phillips@9-5usa.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 14:58:51 -0500

        I also found one of the old Cushcraft 220WB antennas at a hamfest this
past April.  It was in pretty good shape and was $50.  That was
probably too much but I figured I would not likely find another anytime
soon so I bought it!  Then I bought a 220 module for my Yaesu
FT-736R so I have only been on 222 for a few months.  My house is
surrounded by trees and the antenna is only up about 12ft right
now.  During the VHF contest I was able to work a station a little
over 150 miles away.  I have worked a station a little over 50 miles
on a couple of occasions and he has given me +10-20 reports.  I hear
quite a few stations down in the noise so I'm sure if I could get the
antenna up higher I would be able to do some good.  I obviously
can't compare it with anything else but, as the saying goes, "it
works for me."

        73

        Kevin

        W5TTY

        > On 09/27/2016 12:19 PM, Peter Laws wrote:

        >> Speaking of 222 ... I've managed to acquire an XV-222 and hope

        >> some day ... to actually have it installed at N5UWY. What is a
good

        >> antenna for 222? I have an ancient Cushcraft (pre-MFJ) A148-10S
for

        >> 144 that has served me quite well for several years. Not the
best

        >> antenna ever, not even "computer optimized", but
adequate for me. Is

        >> there a similar antenna for 222? If I knew company
names/model

        >> numbers, I could look out on eBay or locally.

        >> Same actually goes for 1296 since I need an antenna for that as
well.

        >> I recently picked up a Diamond A430S15 for 432 and I expect
similar