[VHFcontesting] Setting up new station

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Setting up new station
From: Michael Murphy <michael@k5mbm.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 23:13:18 -0500
This is an opinion question, so tell me your opinion and why you feel the way
you do.  I have been wanting to get into vhf contests, but haven't got it all
together yet.  I currently have a Yaesu 450D and 100D.  Also have 3 Tyt 9000
(2m, 1.25m and 70cm FM).  I will be moving in a few months and have been
thinking about the new shack and thinking of upgrading the equipment.  So if
you were to start from scratch to build a decent single operator station
primarily for Vhf contest (I've be doing HF just fine with what I've got now),
what equipment would you use?  I like that the Elecraft K3 has support for
multiple transverters.  I also like the Icom IC-9100 for its 2m and 70cm
capability, but no transverter support.  When it comes to tranverters, I like
the way the Elecraft transverters work with the K3, but Demi has more band
choices.  As far as antennas go, I've only got a triband vertical for the FMs.
So any thoughts and comments are welcome.

Sent from my iPad