Re: [VHFcontesting] Contest rule & DE KE1LI

To: <nosigma@aol.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Contest rule & DE KE1LI
From: "Paul Rollinson" <Paulrollinson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 08:52:07 -0500

Thanks,

Paul Rollinson

Rollinson Associates

860-928-5147

860-928-3844 Fax

860-208-8814 Cell/Text

Paulrollinson@sbcglobal.net

Representing Component Part

Manufacturers for over 35 years

From: nosigma@aol.com [mailto:nosigma@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:36 AM
To: Paulrollinson@sbcglobal.net; vhfcontesting@contesting.com

Paul
I spoke with Bart Janke. ARRL Contest Director about this very thing last
spring.  He said it was OK, with some caution.  I wanted to send  emails ro
about a thousand hams within my FM range, FM can be a desert.   As long as you
send the emails BEFORE the contest starts its OK, in fact he advocated it since
it increases intrest and activity.  You can pass your cell number to set up
scheds.  I picked up about 30 of my 150 contacts last sept that way.  7 or 8
folks entered and submitted logs from those emails, it was worth the effort.

You can coordinate scheds via text or cell during the contest.  This includes
bearing, range, freq and tume to initiate the qso. What you cant do is use the
info passed this way to complete the contact or assist in "dialing in" the
signal. You have to be scrupulously honest about clearly getting the grid and
call over the radio.

If you dig around on the arrl contest sute pages there is more info.  Do not
confuse vhf uhf spotting rules with hf which are much more restrictive.

73
John
KM4KMU

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail