Re: [VHFcontesting] Polarization Isolation

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Polarization Isolation
From: "Michael Sapp" <wa3tts@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 15:59:55 -0500

Hi All: With respect to the question concerning horizontal versus vertical polarization and the practical effect in amateur radio communication, just take a look at how commercial satellites make use of vertical and horizontally polarized channel allocations to get the most use out of limited transponder bandwidth resources.

"The Electronics Handbook - Page 1659
Jerry C. Whitaker - 1996 - ‎Preview - ‎More editions
Beam and polarization isolation: Frequency reuse allocates the same bands to several independent satellite transponder channels. The only way these signals can be kept separate is to isolate the antenna response for one reuse channel in the direction or polarization ... Isolations of 27-35 dB are typical for reuse systems."

(Search terms for this reference: ( "satellite transponder" channel "polarization isolation" dB )

Keep in mind a satellite dish is a high gain antenna, and the polarization (horizontal, vertical, circular/elliptical) is closely controlled. The effect with typical amateur antennas is more noticeable with stacked antennas and properly isolated transmission lines. For example, my 4 stacked halos on 430~450 MHz are "very horizontal" when each is properly matched with a balun (which tends to limit vertically polarized line radiation) and properly stacked. I have difficulty getting into local FM repeaters with the 430~450MHz stacked halos that are up 50 feet and used on my 432.322 MHz weak signal cw beacon. Yet, I routinely get weak signal beacon reports from KU8Y near Chicago for my 432MHz beacon near Pittsburgh.

One other thing to remember is that for each antenna side lobe in an antenna pattern, the polarization switches. You can use this to an advantage if you have a horizontal yagi antenna and want to communicate more effectively with a station (stuck with) using vertical polarization---just use a vertically polarized side lobe of your horizontal yagi. Usually there will be a vertical side lobe at some angle off the back of the yagi antenna. It takes a bit of practice to find the vertical lobe, but it works and the technique can allow you to pull that 10 watter out of the noise in a VHF contest using his quarter wave vertical on 144, 222, or 432 MHz horiz ssb/cw mode....

73, Mike wa3tts

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Buddy Morgan via VHFcontesting