[VHFcontesting] FN55 - Transverter drive control?

To: newsvhf@mailman.qth.net, VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] FN55 - Transverter drive control?
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 14:04:37 -0500
I have been offered a solution to my amplifier woes. The mast problem has been addressed in a temporary fashion to prevent further damage while waiting for the weather to improve.

Meanwhile I want to take advantage of the down time to work on other aspects of the station that didn't work out so great the way I kludged it together last year.

I have a 100W HF transceiver which I need to use as IF for the transverter(s) which require(s) +10 dBm. Dedicating a transceiver to VHF is not an option. Using the -10 dBm transverter output is not an option (even if I could amplify it 20 dB).

High power attenuators are expensive and I don't like to be generating 100W on the IF frequency. Has anyone tried a circuit to supply fixed negative voltage to a transceiver ALC input for transverter drive level setting? If my transceiver wouldn't go all the way to +10 dBm, anything under 1 watt would allow use of an inexpensive attenuator to finish the job.

The obvious down side is risk of transverter damage should the fixed ALC bias fail. Are there other disadvantages? Does anyone have any thoughts on protection in case of ALC bias circuit failure?

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf