[VHFcontesting] N9LB 2017 Spring Microwave Sprint results

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] N9LB 2017 Spring Microwave Sprint results
From: "Lloyd - N9LB" <lloydberg@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 11:07:55 -0500
Being fairly new to microwave contesting and first time ever on 10 GHz, it
was a learning experience for me.  Activity level was excellent, I didn't
know how to handle it.  Kind of like trying to drink from a fire hose.  I'm
sure I can improve for next time.

Four grids contacted on 10 GHz, ( one grid less than needed for 10G VUCC on
my first day! ).

10 GHz with KA9VDU in EN52 and EN53 - Thanks Greg!

10 GHz with W9ZIH in EN51 - Thanks Ron!

10 GHz with K9PW/R in EN51 - Thanks Pete!

10 GHz with W9SZ/R in EN61 - Thanks Zack!

Missed many opportunities for additional QSOs and missed many regulars.

Missed KA9VDU on 10g in EN42ww ( my L.O. dropped out of lock, I didn't
notice it until Greg was at his next grid )

Missed W9SZ/R in his second grid - sorry about that, Zack.

Totally missed AA9IL - sorry about that Mike!

Totally missed K9JK/R - sorry about that John!

Totally missed W9XA - sorry about that Kermit!

Attempted 1296 with WW8M - unsuccessful.

After a four band sweep with K9PW/R in EN51xt in the morning, we again tried
for another four band sweep in his second grid in the afternoon.
Unfortunately for the second grid we only worked on 902 and 1296, missing
2304 and 10g - we simply ran out of time!  We were half way thru the 2304
contact when the clock hit 2 PM local time - ouch!  So close!

Best DX was with Pete K9PW/R in EN51xt at 163 KM on 902, 1296, 2304 and
10368 MHz.

Also, a four band sweep with Zack W9SZ/R in EN61av at just a two kilometer
shorter distance of 161 KM.

Equipment:

902 = Barefoot DEMI 902 XVTR, 30w, M2 Yagi

1296 = Barefoot DEMI XVTR, 25w, M2 Yagi

2304 = DEMI XVTR and Pyro Joe amp, 25w, Directive Systems looper

10368 = Barefoot DEMI XVTR, 2.4w, surplus 24" dish w TVRO feedhorn

Obviously needed improvements:

.             A second radio to monitor 144.260

.             More power on 10 GHz

Already have 3456 MHz equipment on order.  Hope to have that running for
June and August events.

73

Lloyd - N9LB  EN52hv ( 10 miles South of Madison, WI )