Re: [VHFcontesting] FT=991A

To: w7yoz@centurylink.net, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FT=991A
From: John Young via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 22:44:39 -0400
I Didnt see any responses for June so I will chime in.  I ran an FT991A in the
January contest, FM category. I did some ssb to help others when it was slow on
FM.

I love the radio.  Fantastic on RX.  I could work stations right through our
local Jammer who shuts down repeater nets freaquently.  The ability to easily
adjust mike gain on the fly with a programmable knob let me reach stations that
I never could have before.  The sensitivity and noise rejection let me run zero
squelch most of the time with readable audio coming through.

On TX I had a clean signal after going through a TE Sytems amp on 2m and
"barefoot" on 70cm.  6m rocked.  I penetrated into 3000 ft deep valleys and had
the RX quality to hear the responses.

Since January I have done HF qso's on a long wire into eastern Europe.
California (from  VA) and end fire to Canada and FL with the rigs 100w.

I am a new ham. This is my first HF/VHF/UHF shack in a box rig.  It has
surpassed my expectations

73
John
KM4KMU