[VHFcontesting] FW: 222Up N8RA Single Op LP

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "YCCC reflector" <yccc@yccc.org>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] FW: 222Up N8RA Single Op LP
From: "Chet S" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2017 15:26:10 -0400
ARRL 222 MHz and Up Distance Contest

Station: N8RA
Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN31
Operating Time (hrs): 2-3

Band  QSOs
------------
  222:  10
  432:   1
  ------------
Total:  11  Total Score = 2,886

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Still working on rebuilding the station after having moved to a new QTH.
The desire to play a little radio and the new "222 MHz and Up Distance
Contest" motivated me to mount a 222 yagi on the temporary pole in the
backyard (at 15') and hook up an Elecraft 222 transverter to a converted FAA
6154 to see if they all still worked. They did.

Things were slow on Saturday, and not helped by being in and out of the
shack between chores, nor by having the yagi pointing in only one direction
until I would take wrenches out and Armstrong rotate it to another compass
bearing.

Everything seemed to be playing OK until late Saturday evening when I went
out to turn the antennas SW. Upon returning to the shack and starting CQing
again, I noticed no power out!? The 6154 amp's HV lamp was off and the
chassis near the amp compartment was rather hot. Turned it off, replaced a
blown fuse. and switched it back on. There was a slight pop inside, and the
amp did not power back up. End of contest.

The distance scoring is a nice feature! Farthest Q was 226 miles. Some fun
while it lasted.

Chet, N8RA