[VHFcontesting] Batteries a few more thoughts..

To: "<vhfcontesting@contesting.com>" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Batteries a few more thoughts..
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 10:21:43 -0700
Hi.

I agree with the comments made by others regarding using proper battery
chargers.   I found my system worked better once I got a micro processor
controlled charger that was designed to charge to the type of batteries I use.
(Previously I charged them with one of my DC power supplies and also tried a
few schemes to charge them from various vehicle electrical systems.)

Re Trojan batteries, the battery store I deal with has recommended certain six
volt Trojan batteries as the next step for me if I want to move on from the 12
volt AGM style batteries I'm currently using.   However I'm told those
particular batteries (I realize Trojan probably sells many different types of
batteries) shouldn't go in the cab of my truck (due to possible out gassing) so
I would need to put the batteries in the truck bed and would need longer cables
that would have more losses or be much larger and more expensive.  I find every
10th of a volt of loss is critical in running high power gear directly from
batteries.   (I have short 4 gauge power cables for one of my 300 watt Amps.)

I'm told the batteries I currently carry  in the cab of my truck are suitable
for that application but I'm relying on the advice of the vendor in that regard
and I don't consider myself a battery expert.

Re generators, in the long a generator system might be less expensive than
buying high quality batteries, proper battery chargers, fuses, disconnect
switches, heavy gauge cables etc.   I've probably spent close to $1,000.00 on
my battery system in my rover and I find the batteries typically last about 5
years.   The batteries I use cost approx $250.00 each.    (Somewhat more than
typical automotive batteries.)   That being said if I had a generator system I
would also need to buy a high current 13.8 Volt supply to go with it to run my
brick amps.  The 70 amp supply I have in my shack is a linear one and I don't
consider it to be suitable for roving.   I was also concerned about the
possible noise from switch mode power supplies when operating at extremely Low
noise sites in the back country.   I also have concerns about the real and
perceived fire hazard issues of running generators in the back country during
fire season.   Still I expect I will go to small generator as the n
 ext step in powering my rover (I'll probably also move away from Brick amps
and buy more powerful amps with built in AC power supplies.)

As usual these are just my opinions and I realize the views and experiences of
others may differ from mine.

73

Mark S
VE7AFZ