Re: [VHFcontesting] Digital Questions

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Digital Questions
From: Sean Waite <waisean@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 14:25:16 +0000
The problem with penalizing digital mode contacts is that it will hurt the
newer generation of hams the most, and those are the people we want to be
encouraging to get on the air during these contests. A lot of the big,
established ops and stations use digital modes just to maintain a
competitive edge, or to get the long range grids that EME or meteor scatter
can provide. For a new ham, maybe living in an apartment or an HOA
restricted community, the ability to operate a weak signal mode levels the
field for them a bit. Maybe it is true that FT8 is "only" as good as CW at
weak signal copying, and is slower, but many newer hams can't do CW.
Whether they should learn is a can of worms I don't want to get into.

Right now, I think the only thing to do is wait and see. It's possible that
once the novelty of FT8 wears off that there will be more effort on CW and
phone modes during the next contests, the September and June contests were
when it was still pretty new and people were trying it out.

As WV2ZOW said, we need to make the contact. Unfortunately for us rovers,
it's hard to handle digital modes and computers while crammed into a car -
hopefully there'll still be non-digital modes out there.

I'd fully support changing up some of the contests to bring back the prefix
contest and such. In June it's all about getting the crazy enhancement from
Es and such, maybe change up January or September to bring back prefixes.
Give each contest it's own flavor, rather than having the only differences
be conditions we operate in.

Sean WA1TE