[VHFcontesting] N4BRF/WA2VNV Jan VHF Contest

To: "SVHFS@yahoogroups.co" <SVHFS@yahoogroups.com>, <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>, <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] N4BRF/WA2VNV Jan VHF Contest
From: "George Sintchak" <wa2vnv@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 14:20:08 -0500
ARRL January VHF Contest

Call: N4BRF
Operator(s): WA2VNV
Station: N4BRF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EL96vk
Operating Time (hrs): 16

    6:  25     12
    2:  25     10
  222:   9      6
  432:  15      8
  903:
  1.2:   7      4
-------------------
Total:  81     40  Total Score = 5,040

Club: Boca Raton ARA (N4BRF.org)

Comments: Having internet this time helped with the chat pages & time sync for
FT8. Only worked 4 Es stations on 6 meters via FT8. Otherwise the rest with
normal SSB/CW human ear decoding.
Score more than doubled since past Jan contests from here and also having
improved 222 receive with a cavity filter. There's a Chan 13 HDTV only 5 miles
to the favored North direction. Last year the 222 receive was paralyzed by
front end overload.
Continuing frustration from past contests that there were NO stations on in
grid EL95 just South of me in the Broward & Miami Dade counties that have ONLY
a few hundred hams. I tried FM simplex & local repeaters to get some activity
going - nothing!!!  I tried to unsuccessfully look up the phone number of a ham
in EL95 (Homestead,FL) I worked on Friday while testing the station radios out.
I pleaded with him then to get on for the contest - I guess football was more
exciting for him.
Tnx to K4SME/R rover I worked in 2 far away grids and WA4GPM was my best tropo
distance to EM90, 266 miles. C U in the Spring Sprints.

73's, George WA2VNV