Re: [VHFcontesting] Feeling like a frustrated old dinosaur and giving up

To: Walter Murphy <n2wm@centurylink.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Feeling like a frustrated old dinosaur and giving up.
From: Jeff Stai <wk6i.jeff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 19:23:18 -0800
I'm just thinking out loud, but it seems to me that if you got credit by
mode - where you could score 1 point each with a station on a band for CW,
phone, and digital - you'd get a lot more people thinking about moving to
CW and phone when conditions warrant.

Might be worth further discussion. 73 jeff wk6i

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 7:17 PM, Walter Murphy <n2wm@centurylink.net> wrote:

> I agree with Mike!!!
>
> I operated from Home and listened a lot. I know some very good distances
> can be worked with these digital modes but during the weekend tuning up to
> the Digital Frequencies on 6 meters I heard many S9 to 20 over S9 signals
> on digital which is a waste of time.  A simple SSB or CW QSO could be made
> in a fraction of the time.
>
> My big objection is that many if not all of these stations on Digital
> never made one attempt to get on SSB or CW.
>
> I find no enjoyment in watching a computer make a QSO.
>
> 73
>
> Walt Murphy N2WM
>

> On 1/22/2018 9:14 PM, Mike (KA5CVH) Urich wrote:
>
>> I guess one should be excited about the enthusiasm over the digital
>> modes but I'm not.  Events precluded my plans to get back into dong
>> some contesting with a simple Saturday only rove but was only able to
>> get on the air in spots a couple of  times.  I have a modest station
>> for six, a FTdx1200, 3L @ 30', good feedline, with maybe a 1 or 2 watt
>> return.  For the rove I would have used my FT-991.
>>
>> The few times I was able to get on ... 50.125 was dead ... I mean
>> nothing.  Called CQ a few times ... even drug out the FT-817 to
>> monitor my signal ... sounds good.  Now I spun up and down the band as
>> I had time and could hear what I presume were digital modes with good
>> strong signals so my radio is working ... but no one is saying
>> anything.   Can't we just talk to one another ... I'm sorry if this
>> offends those who love digital but the dinosaur in me comes out.  To
>> me the digital modes for the most part are noting more than sending
>> texts and emails that I can do with my phone.  YAWN.
>>
>> If you were on phone thank you ... we just didn't catch up with one
>> another.
>>
>> So maybe a digital free contest is in order ... hmmmm ... doubt it ...
>> I'll just get laughed at.

Jeff Stai ~ wk6i.jeff@gmail.com
RTTY op at W7RN