[VHFcontesting] FT8 contesting

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] FT8 contesting
From: Herb Krumich via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 00:16:52 +0000 (UTC)
I just read the ARRL article about the September VHF contestWhat a great job,
Jon and Jeff did in the write-up.For my two cents, here goes.FT8 might be the
death of VHF contesting. Including myself, I really enjoyoperating the mode.
Especially on the crowded low bandsBut if the number of operators continue to
grow using the mode, I pity themulti op stations and rovers. While making the
contacts on FT8, there isno way of asking to switch bands. You might never find
that station again.The amount of work setting up portable stations, is
tremendous.Perhaps a certain amount of time a station can operate digital modes
in a contestmight be a way to combat the problem.But believe me, if nothing is
done, inspired VHF operators will go bythe waysideSome might say I'm crazy and
out of touch. But the decline of VHF contesting has beenmassive in a very short
period of years.73Herb K2LNS