[VHFcontesting] September ideas, 1 sensible 1 crazy?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] September ideas, 1 sensible 1 crazy?
From: John Young via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 16:16:04 -0500
For June I work with W4IY so that gives me quite a bit of time to plan for
September.  I plan on adding 1296 as part of the morphasis to SOLP but will
probably enter FM Only again and work SSB on 6m, 2m & 70cm & 1296 when fm is
slow (usually).

On FM my strength has been multipliers.  From central VA terrain dictates that
if I want more grids I have to work NNE or SSE along a narrow azimuth either
way reaching out from my reasonably predictable max range of 200 miles to 250
to 275 miles either direction.

This would require 10 to 12 dB more gain on 2m over the advertised 14 dBi my 2m
beam has.  Since I would be working along fixed bearings due to terrain a rope
Yagi seems to be a natural.  Reading up on the Brendanquest rope Yagi, which is
well inside my fab skills, I think a little tweak to the center frequency and a
few runs on eznec to dial in the Vpol beam widths would give me what I need to
reach from FM08 to at least the FN10-11-20-21 grid corner if not a well into
those more distant grids.

FYI: I cant handle quad stacks on my Jeep mast and my max boom length is 12
foot for that mast.

I want to push the edge of the FM envelope out a little further....

Comments?  Crazy? Problems?
Criticism always welcome.

73
John