Re: [VHFcontesting] Listening for 50 MHz band openings while roving ?

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Listening for 50 MHz band openings while roving ?
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 12:55:08 -0700
Sorry to reply to my own thread and thanks for the off list replies.

After some reflection and assistance from a very helpful ham on the WSJT yahoo
list, my plan is to have a computer listen to FT8 on 50.313 while I drive and
in turn the computer will generate audible alerts when grids other than pre
defined "local grids" are detected.   The catch is I may miss new calls within
my "local grids" but hopefully I'll be able to work them when I stop in each
grid.   (I am NOT looking to exclude local stations.)  The goal is to be able
to detect band openings on 50 MHz while I am driving between operating
locations during contest and I think I now have a simple solution that will
work.

I dislike cross posting others peoples messages so I won't repeat the messages
from the WSJT Yahoo list.  I'd be happy to provide more info off list if anyone
is interested.

>From testing this in the shack over the last day the process seems to be
>"working."  I even got an audible alert this morning that lead to me working a
>nice band opening on 50.313 with 20 watts into my HF vertical.   This is more
>or less what I am envisioning doing while roving, detecting band openings
>while driving, parking in a safe place and either working stations with the
>1/4 wave whip on top of the truck, or perhaps putting up a mast and beam
>antenna.

I will probably still listen to the audio from 50.313 as well but now I have a
means to get an explicit alert when the computer detects distant grids.  I'll
have to see how this actually works during the next contest.

73

Mark S
VE7AFZ

mark@alignedsolutions.com