Re: [VHFcontesting] We have a Situation here....

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] We have a Situation here....
From: Tom <k8tb@bosscher.org>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2018 15:19:48 -0400
Marshall,

I've been a long time 6 meter putz level enthusiast.  It seems that the best solution would be to politely ask the WSJT team if there is a way to idiot proof the program so that if someone is in contest mode, they can exchange with some one who is not.

Then, the "group", whether this group or otherwise, simply states that from now on, all exchanges on 6 meters FT8 will be in the "contest mode".  We can actually call it the normal mode, and the report mode as "verbose"!

i remember when I first read about meteor scatter, and EME, and how fussy the folks who did all those modes were with each other to make sure a contact counted. Grid, 73 RR.  No exceptions, and nothing more. That can be done in 60 seconds on FT8. And simply put, that's all that is needed. I've spent a lot of time explaining to people how the signal report works on FT8, and one newbie asked a great question: "Why do we need it?"  Gotta love the proper questions.

Lets simply pick a date, and operate in the contest mode on FT8 6 meters all the time. And uh Marshall, I'll let you pick the date !

73 from Michigan, Tom K8TB