Re: [VHFcontesting] Polishing the Yagi

To: chetsubaccount@snet.net, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Polishing the Yagi
From: John Young via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 21:51:43 +0000 (UTC)
Chet,
I expect you are correct, the sudden change from the week before the contest
where it would take a tune anywhere to about halfway into the contest where it
barely worked at 51MHz was probably due to water in the gamma match.  That felt
like way to sudden a change to be due to slow oxidation.  I will see what I can
do to prevent water intrusion.  Thank you for suggesting this.  I knew I needed
to address water in the gamma match it but have been afraid to touch it since
took a full day of work with a spectrum analyzer to get set close to 50ohms and
flat across SSB and FM.  I will dive in and seal them up.  If I get it wrong I
know my buddy Jacek and his magic blue tooth remote head spectrum analyzer will
get it dialed in next weekend.
Jay,
Thanks, I got very lucky with conditions and a great turn out from Hams on FM.
You asked.......but who does that?  Well I do, sort of.  I keep Anti-Sieze on
all hardware thats R&R'd, I also keep a die grinder and spare hardware on hand.
 I did have my 6m telescoping elements seize up January of 2017 with ice so I
now coat all my antenna's with silicon spray (including inside the telescoping
tubes) before the January contest.   The silicon spray is used to keep ice from
forming inside the tubes locking the telescoping tubes together (I pull outers
for transport).  It also lets all antenna's shuck ice as it forms during the
contests.  0300 UTC, 25 degrees and dropping, soaking wet, numb fingers, all
alone on a mountain top trying to pack up with seized telescoping elements,  ah
the joyous memories we make contesting.
Thanks guys.  I appreciate the advice.  Always learning.
73JohnKM4KMU