Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] [FFMA] 220v portable generator

To: nd0b@ockert.us, FFMA@yahoogroups.com, vhfrovers@yahoogroups.com, vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu, vhfcontesting@contesting.com, csvhfs@csvhfs.org
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] [FFMA] 220v portable generator
From: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2019 21:18:51 -0600
Hello everyone....that generator does look nice, however, it only has 120VAC and no 240VAC.  All the big amps that I have run on 240VAC.  We bought a dual fuel 7500W(gas) / 6750(propane) generator from Tractor Supply.  It was a bit less than $800, as I recall.  That is what we took on the Zone2 DXpedition.  Bill is right about running your genset on propane.  It is the only way to fly.  Changing cylinders is easy and not dangerous like fueling with gasoline.

It appears like you have to purchase some "extras" before you actually have a working system....like wheels.  Why wheel sets are "extra" is beyond me.  Those things are heavy, you don't want to be trying to lift them all the time.  Otherwise it looks nice, especially for the $200+ price.  Tractor Supply has something very similar($279) that does have 240VAC, but it is gasoline only.  OH WELL, you pays your money and you takes your chances....

A great and prosperous New Year to everyone....

73 Marshall K5QE