[VHFcontesting] Working K5QE in the Jan VHF contest...

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Working K5QE in the Jan VHF contest...
From: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 23:31:49 -0600
Hello to all our friends in the Meteor Scatter / WSJT world from the K5QE contest team....K5QE will be operating in the ARRL January VHF Contest and would really appreciate any contacts that we can make via digital meteor scatter or EME for that "rare" grid.  The contest begins 1900 UTC Saturday and ends 0400 UTC Monday (the weekend of Jan 19 and 20).  For those of us still on local time, that is 1PM Central Time on Saturday to 10PM CST Sunday night.

For those stations that are outside our normal range, I invite you to try to work us on 6M, 2M, or 222 using digital meteor scatter OR 2M, 222, or 432 EME(When the moon is up). We will be operating EME on 144.142MHz, 222.085MHz, and 432.080MHz Second Sequence.  For this contest, the moon rises at 2230Z(4:30PM CST) on Sat and again about 2330Z on Sunday(5:30PM).

We will also be able to operate FT8 when conditions are good for that mode.  Please remember that everyone MUST be using the new WSJT-X v2.0.0.  That is the standard now and the earlier versions are NOT compatible, so if you don't have it, download the new version and install it before the contest.  We will use the NA Contest Mode for meteors and FT8 on all bands.

On 6M, we will be operating WSJT-X MSK144 digital meteor scatter on 50.265MHz, grids, using the NA contest mode.  We will begin 6M meteor scatter operations at 0100Z Sunday = 7:00PM CST Sat Night.  Our QRG for 6M meteors is 50.265MHz, as usual.  We may call CQ K5QE 265 on 50.260MHz, but we will RX on 50.265MHz and we will complete our contacts there.  If we are calling CQ towards the NE, we will be on First Sequence.  If we are calling towards the West or NW, we will be on Second Sequence.

This is a good opportunity for smaller stations to get a DX contact on 6M, because the chances of an Es opening late at night are nil.  Please give us a try on 6M meteor scatter.  We run 1KW output on 6M meteor scatter with fairly large antennas.

On 2M, we will be operating WSJT-X MSK144 digital meteor scatter on 144.142MHz, grids, SH=ON using the NA contest mode. The moon rises at 2230Z(=4:30PM on Sat),  and we will be on EME thereafter.   If there is no activity on EME, we can switch to 2M meteors and operate 2M digital meteor scatter.  On meteors, we will RX on 144.142MHz.  We may call CQ K5QE 142 on 144.150MHz, but we will complete our contacts on 144.142MHz. Please call us there.

We will be on normal sequence(see above).  Again, remember that the contest requires exchanging GRIDS.  We run a stacked pair of 17el M2's at 160ft and 1KW output on 2M MSK.

222 meteor scatter contacts are harder than 6M or 2M, but they they are much easier than most folks think, especially with MSK144.  If you have a decent 222 antenna and some power, visit with us on PingJockey or call us on the phone and we can set up a sched.  Even if we only make 5 contacts via MS on 222, that is 5 grids that we(and you) will not make otherwise.  I have never tried FT8 on 222, but if we got just a little bit of enhancement, it might work wonders.

On 6M, 2M, and 222 we will cease digital operations at 7AM CST(=1300Z) on Sunday morning and revert to normal tropo type operations.  We will be watching the PingJockey reflector whenever we are doing digital meteor scatter and the N0UK EME-1 reflector whenever the moon is up for us.  The reflector is a wonderful resource, so feel free to use it liberally.  The new ARRL rules allow us to make schedules on PingJockey or the EME-1 page, so don't be shy about chatting with us there.  Using the reflector, there is no reason for us to tie up 50.260MHz or 144.150MHz, just tell us to look directly on 50.265 or 144.142. NOTE:  NO contact information can be exchanged on the reflector.

For specific schedules, you can call the contest station at 409-787-3831.  We can also run FT8 if conditions are favorable. Just contact us on PingJockey or call us to set up a sched.

Thank you in advance for spending some time to work us in the contest.

73 Marshall K5QE, EM31cj
www.k5qe.com
East Texas
Phone at the contest shack is 409-787-3831