[VHFcontesting] FT-818 SWR readings on 432 MHz

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] FT-818 SWR readings on 432 MHz
From: Steve Kavanagh via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 14:15:10 +0000 (UTC)
An observation from the 432 Sprint.....my FT-818 shows 3 bars on the SWR meter
on 70 cm at the 5 W setting, when connected to a good quality UHF/microwave
dummy load.  On 50 or 144 MHz it shows zero bars.  This is true for both front
and rear antenna connectors.  The output power is indeed 5 watts, measured on a
Coaxial Dynamics meter.  I have tried a couple of good dummy loads.

Can anyone comment as to whether this is normal behaviour?  One local reports
that his FT-817 reads zero bars on 432 on a good load - is there a change in
the FT-818 or just something add about mine?

73,
Steve VE3SMA