Re: [VHFcontesting] 50 MHz Sprint results

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 50 MHz Sprint results
From: Stephen Hewlett via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 14:16:19 +0000 (UTC)
 50 MHz Spring Sprint - 2019
Call: N4NIVOperator(s): N4NIVStation: N4NIV
Class: Single Op LPQTH: FN42Operating Time (hrs): 3
Summary:Total:  QSOs = 5  Mults = 2  Total Score = 10
Club:
Comments:
MFJ 9406 5 watts to a TE Systems 0510G amplifier putting out about 85 watts to
aPAR OA-50 antenna up 24 feet - QTH Framingham, MA

Additional comment: I was using SSB only. Yesterday I learned that at least 6
hams local to me were contacting each other using FT8. I could have easily
doubled my score had they been on SSB for any length of time. It seems a waste
to me to use FT8 to make contacts that are easily made with more traditional
modes in a small fraction of the time, plus when the going is slow there is the
possibility and time for a little ragchewing on the traditional modes.
There was no propagation at all during the contest here in Framingham, MA. I
did work Ron WZ1V though and was very grateful for the contact.
Steve N4NIV