Re: [VHFcontesting] [PNWVHFS] activating grids DN27, DN26, DN07

To: "'Mike Lewis'" <k7mdl@hotmail.com>, <k6yk@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [PNWVHFS] activating grids DN27, DN26, DN07
From: <barry@k7bwh.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 06:49:44 -0700
Mike, awesome activity, I know you've done exceptional work on mountains. We
rovers in the Pacific NW have challenging terrain to work around. Thankfully
we're often rewarded from the higher hilltops although we'll never have the
ham density of the East Coasters to run up the score. I admire all you've
done.

You are so, so spot-on to note it's all in the planning and preparation.
Once the wheels start turning, all I want to do is execute the plan; I don't
want to stop to think and decide things, because I don't have any better
routing information on the road than at my desk with all the resources at my
fingertips.

Driving up and down freeways in metro centers? Boring!  For sure, it's the
best way to rack up contest points and I've done it, and I know it's a lot
of work to do it well. But for me, to have real fun is to explore new grids
and mountains, and hand out grids to the truly crazy guys that chase them.
So I drive hundreds of miles away from metro centers and carry a kilowatt
and a big 6m5 and tackle the highest places I can find. Ah, now that's real
living. As my father often told me: "To each to his own," said the farmer as
he kissed his cow, lol.

Barry Hansen K7BWH

 <mailto:barry@k7bwh.com> barry@k7bwh.com

mobile 425-503-5548