[VHFcontesting] DM02 San Clemente Island FM

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] DM02 San Clemente Island FM
From: John Young via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 04:04:05 +0000 (UTC)
I will be spending a couple weeks working on SCI, July 27-Aug 8.  I plan on
bringing my FT-60 (5w) and an extendable whip/tiger tail antenna.  Its between
65 and 80 miles to the California coast in an arc from LA down to San Diego.
About half of the time I will be on the south end of the island (DM02) at
1,000'.
Work comes first (day and night) but I should have time to try some Scheduled
simplex Q's if anyone is interested. The heavy lift will be on your end.  If
you have a beam on FM this should be an easy shot, I work 5w HT's at longer
distances during contests from my Jeep.  With only a 15lb baggage limit packing
for a 3 week trip (1 in SD, 2 on SCI) is a challenge so I can only afford the
weight of the HT.  I wish I could have taken a beam and the 991A for SSB work,
maybe next time.
If anyone wants to try a Q, send a text to me at 703 678 6795 AND an email to
nosigma@aol.com.  Its been a few years since I have been out there but I
understand the island now has spotty cell coverage around Wilson Cove (a huge
improvement) and I can get email at the BOQ computers which I will check every
couple of days.  If anyone knows of a good coastal 2m repeater that would be a
great place to meet up while we try to make simplex work, so pass the freq &
tones.  I will take a couple island pics and make up a custom QSL card to send
out.
73JohnKM4KMU