Re: [VHFcontesting] Why not ask?

To: paul@n1bug.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Why not ask?
From: mike repinski via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 21:33:09 +0000 (UTC)
This is why I like the sprints. Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
To: vhfcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Sent: Mon, Aug 5, 2019 3:28 pm

I wasn't the original poster but since this is one of my major
disappointments in contests, I will comment.

> If the primary
> station is exceptionally strong, I move up the band with them.??

Rarely the case here in FN55. Only a very few are strong enough to
catch that way, and only if they are pointed right at me which is
NOT most of the time.

> Just
> tail-end or throw your call ONCE between gaps in speech just so they
> know you're there.??

I try and try but this rarely works. Usually the station they are
about to run bands with is 200 to 400 miles closer to them than I
am. My S2 signal stands little chance of squeezing in between the
rapid overs when the other guy is probably over S9 (the latter a
wild guess on my part, all I know is I cannot squeeze in between and
be heard).

> If you are fortunate, both stations may hear you.??

Nope. Well, rarely. Often I can only hear one of them.

> Stay put on the new frequency and let the primary station finish running
> with the other station.??

This rarely works. Either they don't come back, or they are pointed
someplace else by the time they do, or conditions have changed.
Being that I'm so far out of the major activity centers, it is my
belief people don't stay pointed this way long.

> More points for the higher bands
> drives this behavior.?? I can't eschew this behavior since it makes the
> most sense for maximizing scores.

I can only guess that QSO rate is more valuable than a multiplier on
a few bands. Or perhaps I'm not as alone here in FN55 as I think. I
never hear anyone else on from this grid though, except a low power
local on 6 and 2.

Every contest that I work I miss stations I could easily work on
anywhere from one to four bands. The only time I hear them is when
they are making arrangements to run bands with someone else, and I
can find no strategy which allows me to grab them. Oh well. It's the
nature of the game. I've known that for 35 years but when you
struggle 30+ hours for 50 QSOs (that's with high power and long
yagis at 100+ feet) it's discouraging to miss people you know you
could work.

BTW: Rumors of my demise have been slightly exaggerated or at least
are premature. ;) I'm alive, pushing myself to *just* under the
breaking point on badly needed home improvement projects. At the end
of this road the shack will be improved and I will have more time
and energy for radio than ever before, but it's going to take some
time to get there.

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf