[VHFcontesting] FT4

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] FT4
From: Stu <stu@stu2labs.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 09:25:26 -0400
I haven't posted our score to 3830, yet, but wanted to get these questions out to the group this morning. What happened to FT4? We didn't hear any activity at W4IY on Flagpole Knob. (FM08)

Since our group is getting older, we downsized by using KM4KMU's jeep mounted antennas and a single radio for 6, 2 and 432 in our club trailer. Set up and tear down took much less time than normal. We left by 11:00 on Monday morning! Cell phone and Internet service was spotty, so we didn't take advantage of the chat pages or cell phone calls for skeds.

This brings me to my second question. What kind of strategies did you use to change bands and modes? Sunday morning brought fantastic ducting to the NW and we took advantage of it as long as we could using SSB and CW. But, it seems like we got stuck on FT8. It was easy to use and it was a pain to stop/start WSJT when switching modes. (We used N1MM).

On the plus side - FT8 allowed all of our participants to get on the air! That's the first time ever for our group.

I also missed the CW ops during the last hour and the group gathering on 144.200 to talk about the contest. Luckily, W3IP was available for the post briefing.

73

Stu2, W7IY