Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwd: Digital and Q arrangement contesting

To: stevehewlett@verizon.net, k5qe@k5qe.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwd: Digital and Q arrangement contesting
From: John Young via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 22:35:52 +0000 (UTC)
My first contest on SSB was in 2016 as one of the 6m/1.25m operators with W4IY.
 I loved it.  Every time I sat in the chair I was busy as a one armed paper
hanger, running during the good hrs and doing S&P in the slow ones.  It was
never dull.  I have worked at least one contest a year with W4IY since then.  I
love spinning the rotor using dx maps to find "the cloud" to run a new bearing
or go S&P.  It doesnt get better than working a young kid in LA via double hop
on hand held home brew 3el Yagi-Uda.

Incresingly every year since then FT8 has sucked a lot of the fun out of SSB
PH, especially on 6m. As you have all noticed activity is down.  I was whining
to Dave, K1RZ and he set me straight, "FT8 requires new strategies".

I thought about Daves words all weekend, especially Saturday night when I was
awake in the tent saying to myself "I will never do this again."  SOFM is old
skool fun, just you, the radio and swinging the beam and higher PH rates on FM
(when I do my email blast) compared to SSB.  I spend my work days clicking a
mouse, be damned if I am going to bust my tail setting up a remote multi-OP
only to click a mouse for 2 days on FT8.

Strategy. Strategy Strategy.
Sunday after the duct to the NE went away I sent FT8 messages after the 6m Q
asking strong stations to QSY to 2M PH or in some cases to 2m FT8.  Only one
taker, but it's a start, maybe it will catch on?  When FT8 6m & 2m new stations
dried up Sunday I ran S&P on 2m and 432, a few more contacts but nothing
exciting.

Then I jumped over to FM and woke up the world. Regional FM operators wondered
where I had been all weekend (despite not sending out an email blast and
although I was calling as W4IY my voice was recognized as KM4KMU) and I had a
very nice 3 or 4 band run with many stations on FM.

FT8 was a great grid getter but FM had a better rate.  Next year I will send
out my normal FM email blast but focus it on the Sunday NFL doldrums.  4 or 5
hours working 200+ stations will add lots of Q's even if it adds no grids it
will give a much higher score.  Strategy.

I still dont like FT8, but I dont hate it anymore.  It has its place.  We can
still set Scheds, alert the world to our presence and work lots of stations.
FM is my forte and I will bring  it to the table next year as a "strategy" to
maximize the score.  You will find very few FM operators on FT8.

Thank you Dave.  I wont be selling my radios anytime soon.

73
John
KM4KMU

With the advent of FT8
On Monday, September 23, 2019 Stephen Hewlett via VHFcontesting