[VHFcontesting] 2M Sprint

To: VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 2M Sprint
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 06:05:29 -0400
What a fun evening! Thank you very much to all who looked for me on
my announced frequency, 144.237. You made my day!

14 QSOs, 9 grids. Time operated: 1.5 hours.

12 QSOs as a result of answers to my SSB/CW CQ. Wow! Fun!

After working outside all day I came in, showered, and seeing that I
had 20 minutes left until the start of the Sprint, decided to sit
down for just a bit. That was a mistake. I don't even remember
making contact with the sofa, but I (sort of) opened my eyes at 7:32
local time. Oh no! I'm late for the Sprint! I rushed into the shack
while trying to keep my eyelids up and turned everything on.

I was able to get operational just in time for my second announced
CQ period starting at 7:45. I immediately had callers! I alternated
between SSB and CW every few CQs and had a number of QSOs on each
mode. I still had some activity going at the end of the announced 10
minute CQ window so of course I kept going. Highlights were working
K2ERG in FN13 - not my best direction with a small local hill
intervening; N1DPM who I hadn't worked in quite a while; N2NT at 450
miles. Thanks to all who worked me and if I failed to hear anyone,
thank you for trying also.

My first QSO was W1VD on CW. K1DY then called me on SSB and probably
wondered why it took me so long to answer. My fuzzy, sleepy brain
was trying to identify the headset microphone plug and sort out how
it connects to the radio! Sorry, Bill.

I'm glad I put so much effort into "bullet proofing" the new
station. I had forgotten to turn off semi break in on the radio and
a few times I forgot to step on the foot switch before sending CW. I
suspect the first element of CW was truncated or missing while the
sequencer cycled through events, lastly enabling the transverter,
but there were no smoke coming out of things events.

When things came to a pause I went to FT8 and made one QSO. It was
then time for my next CQ period so I went back to 144.237 where I
worked one additional station. By 9:00 PM I was struggling with
exhaustion and need for sleep so I went QRT. I probably could have
worked a few more stations had I kept going.

I consider this a very successful first test of calling CQ during
pre-announced periods on 144.237. I look forward to trying this in a
major VHF contest.

I haven't submitted my results. The 3830 entry form seems to demand
total distance even though the Sprint rules say it is optional. I
haven't calculated that. If I have enough free time I will do it later.

I will see some of you in the 222 and 432 Sprints.

I didn't get a chance to read answer personal emails yesterday. I
will get caught up this morning.

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55MF