Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwd: VHF Contests Rules Discussion and Proposal

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwd: VHF Contests Rules Discussion and Proposal
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 07:14:53 -0400
Just weighing in from FN55. I don't know what the solution is but it looks grim from here.

I have been rebuilding my VHF/UHF station over the past few years. Contesting was one of the major reasons I came back. [I did not operate in January. I had a major health scare the day before the contest, wasn't feeling well and needed to focus on my health.]

The last couple of contests I operated were disappointing. With the shift toward FT8 and consequently it becoming more difficult to make arrangements for running higher bands, the fun factor was diminishing. Reading the post-contest comments in January, it looked from the sidelines as if things were only getting worse.

Given how things have been going I have tabled all plans for getting on 903, 1296, and 10G. There is no point being on bands if one cannot get QSOs there. Realistically my only chance was contests and making QSY arrangements on lower bands. I will be watching to see if things improve, but I am skeptical that anything can turn this trend around. I do appreciate the thought and time some are putting into the search for a solution.

I have nothing against digital per se and I did operate some FT8 in the last couple of contests. But I don't find it exciting and it doesn't motivate me to be active. For me, it takes away most of the things I loved about VHF and up. I have no interest in, and will not operate contests if they are to be mainly 6 & 2m digital. It's supposed to be a fun hobby. The moment it ceases to be fun, what's the point? That is the bottom line.

I honestly don't know what, if anything, would work to turn this situation around. I am not a "contester" per se so I don't have that mindset. I don't care how things are scored or what the rules are. I don't know what would "work" from a contesting perspective. What I care about is having fun. I am (or was) an avid VHF/UHF operator who enjoys the thrill and challenge. I use contests as an opportunity to make QSOs that are ordinarily not available.

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf