Re: [VHFcontesting] 2M Spring Sprint Results

To: Buddy Morgan <beamar@aol.com>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "flwss@flwss.net" <flwss@flwss.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 2M Spring Sprint Results
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 22:46:21 +0000
Hello Buddy

I did not resort to FT8. I did hear a bunch of stations using it, but I had all I could do to get a signal on the air. I went though a pile of old XP laptops trying to find one that worked as a logger. They were all broken and had no connectivity to a radio. I finally found one that I could use. I cannot write a paper log anymore due to hand tremors. I can't read my own hand writing!

I did find that my receive capability was very poor during the Sprint. I could barely work 200 miles away while running a KW and a big antenna.  I checked it today and found that the problem is outdoors and up 135 ft on the tower. Both of my arrays are hosed. I am not looking forward to opening up about 54 sealed coax connectors searching for water.  I spent today working on some 10 meter yagis that also cannot hear and have high VSWR.

If I ever get the 144 MHz system running again, I am sticking with CW and SSB.

Dave K1WHS

On 4/8/2020 6:33 PM, Buddy Morgan via VHFcontesting wrote:
25 QSO 14 Grids = 350 points
Breakdown FT8 14; SSB 11
Had a good time. That's what is important.

>From other posts that I have seen, I think we are seeing a trend on 2M towards FT8. Let's not give up SSB! Don't let 2M become like 6M.
Buddy WB4OMG