Re: [VHFcontesting] Digital modes and Aurora

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Digital modes and Aurora
From: jon jones <n0jk@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 16:30:37 +0000
That is a great question, Zack and a good answer by Jay. We have not had much
aurora here in Kansas the last couple of years, so I have not tried FT8 yet on
Aurora. I see FT8 seems to work for evening TEP on 6 Meters from the Caribbean
to South America. Evening TEP has some doppler shift and signal spread. But I
agree the doppler shift and spreading on 50 MHz Aurora, and definitely the
higher bands would likely not work for FT8. CW is still the best mode for
Aurora on 2 Meters and up.

 -- Jon N0JK

________________________________

Zack, I haven't yet found a WSJT mode that could handle AU well (actually,
at all..).  Possibly the NEW (...another one ??) Q65 mode could work on 6M
since it's supposed to be relatively immune to doppler, but I suspect the
signal distortion would mess that mode up, also.

I doubt there is anything out there better than CW for AU on 2M and above,
although we all know that SSB will do the job most of time on 6 if the
operator is aware of what's going on and changes procedure a bit.

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.