[VHFcontesting] Unique W6PO 144 Amplifier Design

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "vhf-request@w6yx.stanford.edu" <vhf-request@w6yx.stanford.edu>, Moon-net Amateur Radio Moonbounce <moon-net@mailman.pe1itr.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Unique W6PO 144 Amplifier Design
From: Byron Tatum <bjtatum1@att.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2021 16:50:43 +0000 (UTC)
Hello-    I have a question out of curiosity and learning in regards to a
particular version of the W6PO design 144 Mhz amplifier. I have an amplifier
chassis here that is mechanically complete in regards to the enclosure, plate
line assembly, tubing resonators, socket assembly, tuning and loading probes,
front panel spaced away with pair of meters, etc. One difference noted from
original W6PO design is the bottom plate is brass and the two copper plate
resonator tubing lines are soldered to the brass plate. In other words there
are no shorting blocks for the copper resonator tubing lines. These lines
apparently are the correct length to resonate on 144 Mhz is an assumption I am
making. Tests are planned for resonance.   The reason I post this is that I am
seeking information. I recall seeing an amplifier like this about 20 years
back. I believe it was from a company out in California called "Q-Products" and
was sold as a kit. I do recall looking at some information on the Q-Products
amplifier, but I am foggy on the brass plate on bottom with resonator lines
soldered to it in lieu of shorting blocks. Another question I have is in
regards to the Charles Byers chassis kits for the W6PO -- was his chassis kit
made for this brass bottom plate style or the original style using shorting
blocks?   I like this design using the brass bottom plate with no shorting
blocks, however the chassis appears too short (in height) to mount a blower
coming off of back panel. The blower inlet is from a large screened hole in the
center of the brass plate, which means the blower must hang from bottom of
amplifier or this brass plate must be mounted to another chassis that has
blower mounted to it.   I would appreciate any information that anyone might
have on this amplifier, it has aroused in me a lot of interest. The enclosure
is very nicely made, riveted together and using Pem nuts (inserts) versus self
tapping sheet metal screws for covers. The output coupling probe is nicely made
using 2" OD silver plated disc on adjustable N-connector assembly. The plate
line assembly is silver plated however copper resonators are not plated.Thanks
all,Byron W5FH