[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 14:13:01 -0400
Hi VHFers

It is Tuesday and the night for 222 MHz activity. The Hepburn map shows stinko conditions just about everywhere, so all the more reason to get on the band and see what you can do.  I usually start after dinner at about 7 to 7:30 local time and make noise on 222.100 plus or minus.  Things usually slow down at 0130 or 0200 UT, but I try to stay active until after 0200UT or 10 PM local time. If we ever get some tropo or an aurora on a Tuesday, I am sure I could stay busy much later. A rip snortin' aurora is reason enough to stay up all night!

If you have not been on for the activity night yet, it is a good idea to check the ON4KST chat page (144-432 Region 2)  Lots of folks set up skeds using ON4KST.  Then there is Ping Jockey and HB9Q as well for meteors and EME as well.  The real reason to get on is to have some guaranteed activity on one day a week so that people can get on the band and hear something rather than just band noise. Local activity is just as good as long haul CW skeds or digital MS contacts. The idea is to get on and occupy the band.

I am looking forward to having my HV supply turn on gently all by itself. I finally got it running just as I want it.  Now the next task is to make an aluminum cover to keep falling things and curious fingers out of the HV supply.

CU tonight, I hope.

Dave K1WHS