Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 MHz Activity Night

To: Paul Wade W1GHZ <w1ghz.q@gmail.com>, Peter Motyl <cs735171012@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 MHz Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 08:49:39 -0400
Hello Paul

Well, that is one mystery that has been solved. I heard you calling me, so I called you on CW and then switched to my small 2 X8 element yagis that were pointing NW, but only heard noise. I called with no results, so then went back to the bigger yagis aimed SW,, figuring that maybe something was wrong. I called and called but never heard you again.   Now I know why! Learning that 144 MHz is open to W0 and W5 will do that. Then being able to work the VE3s on 10 GHz  rain scatter is icing on the cake! Congratulations.

At the moment I am feeling overwhelmed. There is so much work here, and none of it involves sitting in a chair and operating on a favorite band. My plans to get 10 GHz running again seems so far away.  I am now doing some serious thinking about what I want to be doing in the future.  I have to make some BIG  changes for sure.

As for 222 Night, with the widespread 144 MHz opening, the activity was almost non existent early on. I did manage to work K1DS and then K3JJZ on SSB, but I could see what was happening via the chat pages. Everybody was working everywhere on 144 and having a blast.  K1DS had a great signal with 35 watts and a 3 el yagi. Unbelievable.  W2BVH was also worked and Len was very loud on QSB peaks at about 250 miles.

Slowly, as the opening died, some stragglers appeared on 222. K1PXE was great copy now that his antenna turns again. I  caught KA2LIM in FN12 while he was also working the Es on 144.  While 144 was hot, I made noise on 222 CW and even the dreaded FT-8, in hopes that maybe the MUF might hit 222. It did not at my place, but I did hear K1RZ in FM19, and K3WHC in FN10 on FT8 while their beams were aiming west for 222 Es as well.  I tried CW on 222.100 and then FT8 in hopes that the ionization might reach us on 222. N2JMH called in on FT8 and I did also manage a QSO with K3WHC after the Es died down.

Other contacts include KO4YC on SSB no less, at 525 miles or so, along with Howard, WA3EOQ at just over 500 miles.  I had a nice chat with VE2XX in FN25 and then a great QSO out west with VE3DS first on CW and then we switched to SSB as signals were very good. Dana is at about 433 miles. He peaked at 589 on CW! And what night would not be complete without a contact with WZ1V?  Ron got on 222 after the fireworks on 144 stopped.

There is much tree cutting in my future. CU on 222 night, next week!

73

Dave K1WHS