[VHFcontesting] Tuesday night IS 222 Night!

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Tuesday night IS 222 Night!
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 10:04:53 -0400
I am flying high as I get to play "radio" tonight on 222 MHz. Most of my days are spent chainsawing and cleaning up branches. Tonight, I get to sit in the chair and try to work something new and exciting.   An added feature tonight will be another DX station from FM09 in the form of the "Six Million Dollar Man", W8ZN.   ("We have the technology. We can rebuild him!") It is great to have Terry back on the air and hearing his always great signals from no matter where he is.  I am looking forward to trying to make a 460 mile QSO between W8ZN in FM09 and me in FN43 Mumbo Jumbo.

I am getting reports via N6ZE in CA about 222 activity there, and there is a very active VHF scene there with evening 222 activity! Pete sent me a list of stations who were on yesterday. Some familiar calls are in there.  Ralph, K6TSK is a sparkplug and gets things going and keeps the activity ramped up. I recognized Marty, N6VI in the list and there are many others who get on as well.

I know that the SE states have some great VHF activity. I hope a few are available this evening and are monitoring the chat pages. I know for a fact that N4SVC in EM80 is a killer station. I was there in April, and it was awesome. I sure would like to try some meteor skeds. That is a perfect way to spend a late evening.  It is also much fun to listen in on those skeds with others and then compare notes afterwards. You would be surprised at how variable meteor scatter can be. As they say: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor". I used to compare notes on meteor skeds with W1YTW in Kittery, ME. He was about 25 miles away from me. We were both trying to work K5BXG in Oklahoma, and it was amazing that we both heard entirely different meteors!

My plea is that, even if there is not much activity in your local area, your meteor scatter area of activity is a circle with an 1100 mile radius!  So get on and set up a sked this evening! Turn on that rig.  Plug in that coax connector you pulled out in late May when the T-storm blew thru! Get on 222 this evening. The ON4KST page is a good spot to set up skeds. Ping Jockey is (I think) the standard place to go to set up meteor skeds.  Meteors work on 222 just fine.  I often hear meteor bursts on WA3EOQ while we are working on tropo scatter. He is 500 miles away, and at the point where meteors are starting to be effective. 900 miles is a sweet spot! Lots of action at 900 miles!!

OK, enough blathering.... I'll be on 222.100 starting at about 2300 UT this evening!

73

Dave K1WHS