Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity Night

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity Night
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 06:02:24 -0400
I expect to be there for a change! I'm not sure exactly what my operating plan is. I will be watching ON4KST chat for sure. I will probably CQ somewhere 10 to 15 kHz below or above K1WHS, mostly CW but I will switch to SSB if someone calls me on that mode. I will take a look at FT8 from time to time.

I'm really torn about meteor scatter and EME. We may be close enough to the peak of the Perseids now for evening meteor scatter on 222 but there is also this EME activity Dave mentioned. I'm not interested in working JT65 but I have been trying to get some of the 222 EME gang to run Q65 with me at moonset. Meanwhile if any of the 4 yagi guys are on during that time frame tonight it would be interesting to see how well I see the signals. If I am getting QSOs on CW/SSB/FT8 I won't sacrifice those for a receive-only EME test.

Also... If anyone with high power and a high antenna who is 1250-1400 miles from me would like to run 222 meteors for a couple hours on Thursday morning, please get in touch!!! I would love to get a new personal best distance on 222 meteors during this shower. It CAN be done but takes something more than 150 watts to a short, low yagi at that distance. I have the preferred FSK441 (WSJT 10) in addition to MSK144. My 222 station is better than ever this summer so now's the time!

73,
Paul N1BUG
FN55mf
900 watts, K1FO-22 at 117', tower mounted preamp