[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night-AJ6T Report

To: "222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, VHF Contest Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night-AJ6T Report
From: "Walter Miller, AJ6T" <aj6t@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 22:20:05 -0500
Last night was my second try at the 222 Tuesday Activity Night. I setup several skeds on ON4KST, but the only signal heard was from N4SVC (EM80, 500 miles, FT8, two decodes at -16) operated by N2CEI.  Thanks for the try Steve.  Steve reported that he could see my trace but did not decode anything.  At 500 miles I was pleased with that result.

I also ran with N1GC (EM95, 361 miles, nil on CW), WA3EOQ (FM09, 494 miles, nil on CW), and W5EME (EM32, 469 miles, nil on FT8). Thanks to Steve, Gary, Howard and Rick for the effort.

I have always been interested in the 222 MHz band, and recently decided to chase VUCC on 222 from my new QTH in Tennessee.  Years ago I sometimes went mountaintopping in California with an ancient crystal controlled 223.5 MHz FM Midland rig, and I was always impressed with the tropo range that could be covered by that setup with just a small whip antenna.

I purchased a Ukrainian 10 watt transverter and an M2 10-element Yagi and finally got them online just in time for the end of the recent 222 and Up Distance Contest where I worked NV4B/R EM54vs on CW for my first 222 MHz QSO in many years.

In the days following the contest I worked W5ZN (FT8, 251 miles) and was heard at K5QE (EM31, FT8, 507 miles).  All that warmed me up for my first 222 Activity Night last week when I QSO'd AA9MY (EN50, FT8, 299 miles).

Future plans call for a PA and mast mount preamp.  I'll be active on Tuesday nights.

73, Walt, AJ6T, EM66gh