Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] Tuesday and the 222 Activity Night

To: "vhf >> vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] Tuesday and the 222 Activity Night
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:48:24 -0400
Hello all,

With the exception of 222, all of my antennas are currently down for the Great BUG Rebuild of 2021. The rotator has been removed from the tower and the mast is clamped with the 222 antenna pointed southeast, so even if the operator were to be a functional unit by evening, I probably wouldn't work much. I commend Dave for getting these Activity Nights going again and stirring up so much interest! Sadly, Tuesday evenings continue to be no go for me.

I'm the opposite, greatly preferring cold to heat. My neighbor is convinced I am a nut case every time he seems me up a tower in January. He may be right about that! But I'm totally comfortable being up there in winter if it's not subzero temperatures or windy. A couple of hours ago I climbed up to 105 feet hoping to get that last antenna down but at 78 degrees and dew point of 64 I was sweating so much I was literally dripping. Metal was starting to feel way too slippery and I decided this just isn't happening today. Once I get that last one down it will only take a day to modify everything and be ready to start putting the VHF antennas back up. It takes two climbs per antenna, but I can still make it by the September contest if I can just get a couple of cool, calm days. Where are those arctic blasts from the north when you need them? HI HI.

73,
Paul N1BUG
FN55mf