[VHFcontesting] Antenna setback

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <newsvhf@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Antenna setback
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 11:41:25 -0400
Hi folks,

Rumors concerning my imminent return to the bands may have been slightly overstated!

I had an incident this morning. While jacking the mast to raise it and get the rotator back in the tower, the coax on the 222 and 432 yagis got caught somewhere and I didn't notice until it was too late. There are so many tasks to juggle, so many things to watch and be aware of, but only one of me to do it all. Those two antennas will have to come back down to have the coax replaced. 2m may also be damaged, but I can't be sure until I lower the mast to where I can look at it more closely.

This is a significant setback and I am not sure what is going to happen now. Assuming I can budget for new coax and connectors, this will set me back about a month. I have to climb on average three times for each antenna, both taking them down and putting them back up. With weather and other factors, I don't get many days that I can work. I will have to consider whether it would be in my best interest to set this aside until Spring and try to get the HF tower repaired for winter instead of starting over on this VHF stuff. I'm not likely to have time for both and I need to get SOMETHING operational.

73,
Paul N1BUG