Re: [VHFcontesting] The ARRL VHF contests.....

To: "'VHF Contesting'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The ARRL VHF contests.....
From: "Terry Price" <terry@directivesystems.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 17:30:56 -0400
FT8, like MSK144 and JT65 have their place. I have made contacts using FT8 that
I would not have made on cw or SSB. If any of the readers of this watch any
Indy car racing, they have a "push to pass" button on the race cars that gives
them an extra boost of horsepower but they are limited to the number of minutes
they can use it and once used up, that's it. Maybe a variation of this where
FT8 QSO's are only permitted during certain hours so the folks that don't have
real stations and want to load their HF antenna on 6m they can still get on and
work folks but all other times it's cw or SSB where you can intelligently
communicate and tell the guy on the other end to QSY to other bands. Or, limit
the % of FT8 QSO's that your log can contain. With MSK144 and JT65, most often
folks are in a chat room and can communicate while FT8 seems to be a
free-for-all and MSK144 and the JT modes have never caused some of the issues
we have now.

Once again for the umpteenth time, I'm not anti-FT8, it just makes moving
people and high rates impossible. While I haven't been on VHF as long as some,
I've been pretty active over the last 35 years and I'm scared shitless at what
I see the trend to be.

If there were designated FT8 hours that were universal across all time zones,
folks would know when to listen on FT8 and the rest of the time SSB/CW, if you
can't work 'em during SSB/cw, wait for the next FT8 period and try again.

Terry -W8ZN