[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night October 26

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night October 26
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 10:36:41 -0400
Wow, what a difference a storm makes! We had a Nor easter blow up the coast on Tuesday. The storm was quite well developed in that it had a very pronounced circular motion, with the winds moving CCW around the core. I got up to the shack at about 6:30 PM in the dark and with moderate rain. There were some pretty good wind gusts going on and the guy wires were singing quite loudly. This was not a good night for tropo! (In fact, the wx was miserable!) The center had moved past the Connecticut shoreline by 7 PM. I checked the receiver and was amazed to find K2DLL/b barely above the noise with my big directional array aimed directly at it. It was in the noise on my LVA. It is amazing how things degrade from our best tropo in late august and September, to the pits in October!!

I started out the evening working N1JEZ in FN44ar. Signals were good but not the greatest. I then heard W9KXI calling me on CW. He was good copy but had huge amounts of multi path on him. If I narrowed up the CW selectivity, I could copy several signals all spaced out from his "alleged" frequency.  Al commented that he was hearing WZ1V much better than he was hearing me.  Next up was WZ1V, and Ron and I had our typical discussion that revolves around Polish beer and Lithuanian brandy. We were worried that the container ship problems might curtail deliveries of Polish beer. (Heaven help us) He had tremendous QSB evident on his signal. He would be over S9, and then S5, 15 seconds later.  Gosh, the band is starting to act like it is the January Contest!!

I think W1XR called next from FM19. Jim had plenty of multi path, but the signal was respectable for such a long distance.  At one point, a gust of wind grabbed the shack door and almost tore it from its' hinges. Thank god I had a chain on it to limit the travel or it would have been ripped off the building. I still do not have any internet on the hill, so no chat pages.  I stayed on 222.110 and made lots of calls on CW and a lesser amount on SSB, but the answers were slow in coming. It really was a dark and stormy night. It would have been nicer if I were sitting next to a wood stove sipping a warm cup of tea and with a beagle in my lap. WA2VNV called on SSB and we chatted for a bit. He said Pete, K1pXE was lurking about and should appear shortly. I had heard K1PXE (The voice of Milford) earlier when he was trying to get N1JEZ's attention. Pete was swinging his newly repaired rotator and his pattern swished through my receiver and I saw his signal peak up to S9 on CW, then drop down again as his rotor kept turning.  So K1PXE showed up on SSB after WA2VNV but he was so darn weak, I was sure that he did not have his antenna peaked on me. At one point, he dropped into the noise.  He was still yakking and we doubled for awhile. Really the conditions were that bad.

I got a report from WZ1V that WA3EOQ was hearing me from FM09jo. He had called but I did not hear his 90 watts, so I parked on 222.110 and CQed in the direction of FM09 hoping to hear him. Alas, I could hear nothing. I was not surprised, as that circulating storm was on top of me and the atmosphere was being ripped up. All those troposcatter "blobs" that we hear so much about must have been hiding from the storm.  I kept it up until 8:30 PM  or 00:30 UT.  I tuned around and heard zero activity, so got thinking about the wood stove, a cup of hot tea, and a beagle, and decided to go home.  When I got home, the wood stove was not running, and the beagle has been long gone, so I made a cup of tea and called it a night.

I can probably do three or four more 222 Activity Nights before the snow flies and hill access becomes a problem. I am hoping the snow holds off.  Incidentally, the woods road to the hill is showing its' age. Small boulders are showing up as the dirt gets compacted down from the truck tires. Some gully washers also remove the topsoil and leave the rocks. It is very bumpy now and the truck is bottoming out in several places. My neighbor, who lives on a one acre lot, just bought a back hoe and is looking for a project to use it on. I suggested he could work on my road and he jumped at the idea. I'll order a few truckloads of stone, and he will spread them along the road in the bad places. A good chore for next Spring!

73

Dave K1WHS