Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] 222mhz activity for 11-09-21

To: k7nd <k7nd@att.net>, 222Activity <222activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] 222mhz activity for 11-09-21
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 14:43:33 -0500
Hello Jim and 222 ops,

Thanks for providing another 222 MHz report, and it is gratifying to see some regular activity on 222 MHz around the country.  That is a pretty good list of activity  from the PNW.   I was active on Tuesday evening from southern Maine, and had a ball operating on 222 SSB & CW.  I think I made about 18 contacts and was delighted to see conditions improve over the past Tuesday.   We had fairly stable conditions and it was great to catch up with many friends and have short chats, while also looking for some distant DX contacts.  I got to thinking that having an evening where I could exercise my VHF gear and talk to old friends at the same time, is a great way to spend an evening and that such activities were in danger of disappearing. Regular nightly activity was getting pretty rare!   On Tuesday's I get to talk with K1PXE, who I first met on 144 MHz AM in 1962. That is almost 60 years ago. Pete is a regular on 222 MHz along with many others with similar stories.   Having all of these hams show up on one evening for the purpose of promoting activity makes for a special evening.  W1GHZ, W1AIM, VE2XX, W9KXI, KA2LIM, VE3DS, WZ1V, N1GJ, N2SLO, WA1PBU, WA1LWC, K1PXE, N2GHR, WA2VNV, KO4YC, WA3EOQ, WA3NUF, KJ6T, WW2Y, AA9MY, W5EME and W1XR tend to show up on most Tuesday evenings. There are many others who also show up on occasion and add to the fun. K2DS was very active before he picked up stakes and headed for warmer climes in Florida. While up North, he had a small yagi perched on his balcony just to get in on the fun.

I am sort of rambling here, but what I want to say is that we can make VHF ham radio whatever we want it to be. The camaraderie of the hobby is well known, but was in danger of becoming MIA on VHF, as our lives got more complex and social media became all encompassing.  All we need to do is to take a bit of time and maximize the benefits of some regular activity on some of our higher bands.  I am indebted to all who have participated in any of the 222 Activity Evenings. You made many hams happier in the process!

Last night, I had some great contacts. VE3DS had a pretty good signal from Toronto.  W1XR in FM19 had a great SSB signal.  The WNY boys were loud as well. WA3EOQ in FM09jo made it all the way to my receiver from extreme western Maryland. His 90 watts covered 502 miles which still amazes me.  I missed KO4YC along with a few of the regulars on the band, but it was fun knowing that they were on and working others and having fun.

Thanks to all!

Dave K1WHS