Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contest

To: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contest
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 07:05:24 -0600
My results in the January contest in 2021 were so poor that I'm not going
out this year. I have traditionally been a QRP Portable. I like to operate
from a hilltop about 45 miles from home. In past years I have made over 100
QSO's in this contest. Last year I set up antennas for 9 bands and only
made 13 QSO.s I was very disappointed. It seemed most of the activity was
on FT8, and I was not and am not set up to run any digital modes as a
portable station. It's just not worth it to spend an hour freezing my tail
off putting up antennas for 9 or 10 bands. only making a dozen QSO's and
then tearing it all down again.

I'm hoping for decent weather in the summer VHF+ contests.

73, Zack W9SZ

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 4:53 AM N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com> wrote:

> I'm looking at the forecast for the weekend. Bitter cold and windy. That
> is going to stir up the power line noise and if it's too bad I may just
> bag this contest. The fun of VHF contests has been trending downward
> anyway to the point that every contest I ask myself why I am doing it.
>
> 73,
> Paul N1BUG
> FN55mf
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>