[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 16:49:17 -0500
Hi 222 VHFers,

I messed up and did not get a reminder out for the 222 MHz Activity Night. In my defense, I am hoping that the routine has, by now, become so ingrained in all the 222 MHz ops, that you would automatically turn on the radio on Tuesdays without even thinking about it.  I have been very busy with ham projects, hauling firewood to keep the wood stove cranking, and getting rid of ice and snow from the house and vehicles. Winter is hard in Maine. Not complaining, just stating a fact. heh heh.

For those who are not on the 222 Activity group on Groups.io, there has been a mad rush by many to the magical 50 states worked on 222 MHz. Until this past December, there had only been 10 WAS awards given for 220/222 MHz WAS. In just the last month and a half, I think six more hams have achieved the 50 state mark on 222.  That is an amazing statistic. I am hoping to leverage that fact as a means to build up activity on the band. In that regard, some of us have been keeping N0JK the QST VHF editor in the loop in hopes tat such news get promoted in the monthly QST column. I would hope that 222 MHz might become a VHF column subject very soon. Surely a half dozen WAS awards after such a long drought signifies a huge jump in activity.

So let people know that you are on 222. Drop a note to Jon N0JK, and tell him what you have done lately.  The outcome is a neat band with all sorts of neat propagation with many stations to work on CW and SSB and the digital modes as well. Here in the northeast, Tuesday night is more fun than a just about anything ham related.  I hope the action spreads!

73

Dave K1WHS